Day 8: Athens – Aegina

The morning started a bit later than we expected but we got ready and took the train to the ferry port: Piraeus. From there we bought 8 euro tickets to Aegina, a one-hour ferry from Athens. We found our ferry and went and sat on the seats at the back. The temperature today was a much more bearable 37 degrees Celsius. So with that, we decided to look for somewhere to sit inside. We found a haven with cushioned seats and air-conditioning and sat down and I fell asleep. When we got to Aegina, we walked down the dock, a small place filled with sail boats. All the people standing outside the restaurants try to convince you to come into their shops but we kept walking to try find some sand. We came to a small place with sand and clear water that looked sweet but there was very little shade and it was still quite hot so we got some seats next to the water and got some beer. Ben has been raving about how cheap the beer is in Germany and I can’t wait to get there. We stayed by the water for a couple of hours and both had a little nap. A particularly daring fish followed Ben around in the water, and the dip we bought from Lidl didn’t taste nice warm. A little hungry and a lot hot, we headed back to get a ticket back to Athens. I fell asleep on the ferry back..

When we got back we had showers and headed out for dinner. We went to the same souvlaki place we enjoyed the night before and had an early night because we were both so tired.

Day 9: Athens

The next morning, we woke and had some dry chocolate breakfast cereal since we’d forgotten to buy milk. We also had some juice and got some snacks together and headed out to the Acropolis. When we got there the line was around 300 meters long. We decided since it was so hot, that we would come back in the evening since it’s open till 8pm. However, there was a hill nearby that we could climb up and see a lot of Athens from. We did that and could not only see a lot of the city but could see the Acropolis and other surrounding hills. We decided to climb a different hill and got to see the Monument of Filopappou. We then followed the road down and went to see the Ancient Agora.

By this time, I had a bit of dehydration and so we went and had lunch and drank a lot of water to try to get some energy. After that we headed back to the hostel to have a nap before going out in the evening.

The main site in Athens is the Acropolis so when we had chilled a bit at the hostel, we took the train back there and went and got tickets (with no queue!)

The Acropolis was pretty fantastic. The scale of the stone buildings on the hill, it is extraordinary to think that without manufacturing machines they were able to build such large structures. The Pantheon has 8 pillars x 17 pillars which stand in the middle of the hill, towering over the Temple of Athena Nike and the Odean of Herodes Atticus.

The Parthenon was badly damaged in the 1600s, when it was hit by a cannonball and exploded due to its large gunpowder store.

After an hour or so of walking around we headed to Sytagma square and walked down the main road and looked at the church at the end of the road.

We then headed back to the hostel and had some dinner and played some cards. When we went back to the room the other people in the room invited us to drinks so we went down the road and had some tequila shots and chatted. After that we headed back to the hostel for some zzz.